Visit Us On FacebookVisit Us On TwitterVisit Us On PinterestVisit Us On Google Plus

A New Age of Political Enlightenment

States, united

How women helped bring in a new consciousness in politics

Tuesday night was a huge win for democracy itself and for women in general.  Political victories all over the country brought forth an undeniable energy and feeling that something GOOD in all of us  - and in America  - is alive and well. The people’s voices were stronger than all of the money and special interests in this election, and women – a group whose real voice has been missing in politics for far too long – are at last being heard.

Fifty-Five percent of women voted for Obama last night.  But it wasn’t just that vote that makes our power clear – there were many more major victories by female candidates last night:

1) 10 women got elected or re-elected into Congress last night, which means we will have an historic 20 women in Congress this January.
2) Every single Democratic female that ran for re-election won.
3) Four New Democratic females beat out their male Republican rivals in Republican states – Mass, Wisconsin, my own North Dakota, and in Missouri, McCaskill beat out Atkin, who will go down in history as the man who said that in cases of legitimate rape, a woman’s body naturally aborts the fetus.
4) We elected our FIRST female gay congresswoman in Wisconsin.
5) Last night was the FIRST time North Dakota has elected a woman to congress.
6) The First Female Asian American – and First Buddhist Senator elected to Congress from Hawaii.

7) The first disabled woman, and first Female War veteran to serve Congress, Tammy Duckworth, beat out the Tea Party in Illinois.

What is truly remarkable is that each of these women faced amazing adversity and challenges beyond just being minority candidates. And they got up to the podium and were strong and intelligent, they fought to win the hearts and votes of their constituents, they inspired, and they won.

Why do we need more women in Politics?

Not just for population representation – many studies suggest we need more women in politics because women will help improve national dialogue and women strongly favor individual rights, whereas our government has been over-run by special interests.

Women typically put aside their egos and strive more for compromise. Women are better listeners and therefore more in touch with their constituents needs.   Women are less likely to vote for war and more likely to find new solutions.  Women have a different understanding on needs in policy areas such as health care, transportation, education and jobs. Women in elected office bring new perspectives to issues, which increases the likelihood of conceiving and implementing effective and just solutions to social, economic, and environmental problems.

Why Do We Need More Spiritual People in Politics?

This from Marianne Williamson’s Sister Giant Website:

People on a spiritual path – personal growth, spiritual practice, recovery, yoga and so forth – are the last people who should be sitting out the great social and political questions of our day. And there’s an important reason for this: people on such journeys are adepts at change. They know that the mechanics of the heart and mind are the fundamental drivers of transformation.  This doesn’t just apply to one person, but to masses as well; if you know what makes an individual life change then you know what makes a nation change, because a nation is simply a large group of individuals.

Somewhere out there is the next Gandhi, the next Martin Luther King Jr who will lead us with love as a force to heal political and social problems. We need to address human suffering, the environmental crisis, and those of us on a spiritual journey must take a stand for another possibility.   Humanitarian values must and can prevail.

I’ll be attending a big rally in Los Angeles this weekend called “Sister Giant” that Marianne Williamson has created to get more women involved in politics. Find out more at SisterGiant.

We stand by as children starve by the millions because we lack the will to eliminate hunger. Yet we have found the will to develop missiles capable of flying over the polar cap and landing within a few hundred feet of their target. This is not innovation. It is a profound distortion of humanity’s purpose on earth.
                                                                                                         —Senator Mark Hatfield

*Photo credit:  Etsy

Comments

comments

8 Responses to “A New Age of Political Enlightenment”

1. Sonia S. November 7, 2012 at 4:13 pm #

Great article and I appreciate the stats!

2. Susan November 7, 2012 at 5:28 pm #

I didn’t see these numbers today either. Wonderful! I don’t know about all the other 40-something women out there, but I AM inspired to get involved again. I have to admit I felt a real passion for feminism back in college, inspired by learning about how women were so active in the suffrage movement in the ’20s, the equal rights movement in the 50′s, the peace movement in the 60′s, even by Gloria Steinem’s leadership in the 80′s. But somehow I didn’t pay attention to issues, or get involved since college — something I only realized after watching (in horror) how the Republican Party tried not only to take away (or belittle) women’s rights, but gay rights too….So, you have my attention now! and we won’t back down.

3. Leslie November 7, 2012 at 6:00 pm #

It was truly an amazing night!

4. Sara Reichling November 7, 2012 at 7:57 pm #

Great article Nikki! I’m so proud of us women!

5. Stephanie November 8, 2012 at 5:36 am #

Amazing election in many ways! I, too, have been politically apathetic and indifferent but drug myself out of the lull I was living in and did everything humanly possible to affect this election. I feel satisfied. I know I did all that I could. The young girls in my life were inspired to vote and to speak up for their rights…lovely to see! No more apathy for me! That is exactly how some of these candidates were elected into office- not enough of us were paying attention!! <3 Paying attention in Austin, Texas!

6. Christine November 8, 2012 at 11:35 am #

I Just had to share this with you (totally melts my heart)

I sent your link to one of my 20 year old college student friends- (I also posted it on my FB wall) I saw that she posted it on her wall this morning and this is what she said:

…to all my sistas who think it’s the end of the world …..it’s not– our world is just getting started

These young girls are amazing- yes, the future. They take the male gender (MEN,MAN) out of the word when they use in debates, speeches, posters on campus……they use this spelling ‘WOMYN”. The last time we were together, I talked with her about coming up with a NEW/different word to use in place of FEMINISM. It has such a negative and incorrect stigma to it. What do you think?
    Before I die (or should I say, before my body leaves this dimension) I would LOVE to come up for a NEW word for Feminism AND demystify SHAME.Could allow for some major healing- right? : )

Have a beautiful day…..

• suetiggers May 12, 2013 at 7:25 am #

I’m surprised to see this comment after such an article. I’m 72 and have never considered the word feminism bad in any way, quite the contrary. I guess it’s who you know, who you respect and admire, whether you read magazines such as “Ms.” which always has made me proud and helped educate me re. what smart, strong women have done, can do. Maybe you are one of the “I’m not a feminist, but…………” people ? http://scriptonitedaily.wordpress.com/2013/03/14/im-not-a-feminist-butits-time-to-reclaim-the-f-word/

Feminism helped me, a mom of four, from the 50′s so much. I have a life because of it. Learn our history and you’ll feel proud of the word and what women who identify with it have done for themselves and for us !! (women and MEN) My husband and sons consider themselves feminists….”Men of quality are not threatened by womyn for equality”

7. Hilary November 8, 2012 at 5:28 pm #

Nikki,

Thank you for always reminding us of our power and potential. Its easy to get caught up in the day to day, but Tuesday’s victories made me genuinely proud to be an American Woman.

Keep on rockin’!