The Spring Equinox brings us a balance of day and night because the Sun is sitting on the Earth’s equator. (“Equinox” means “equal night”.)
The spring equinox is celebrated in many traditions as a time of fertility, regeneration and rebirth. For thousands of years our ancestors have celebrated Spring Equinox, as a time of fertility, rebirth of life and energy – which is why today we find many traditional religious celebrations at this time, such as Easter and Passover. The Mayans were very aware of the power of this day, and left us a phenomenal display of both their architectural and astronomical knowledge at the Chichen Itza pyramid. Every year on the spring equinox, thousands visit the site to view the light of the sun making a play of light and shadow on its stairs, which creates the effect of a serpent slithering down the pyramid during a four-hour time span on this day.
Spring Equinox 2012 begins the astrological New Year with the Sun in Aries. It is always a time of hope and optimism, of renewed confidence that life will go on with good times to come but this year is especially energizing because Aries is all about new beginnings and a new sense of identity. Aries are said to be the explorers and heroes of the Zodiac, and with the Aries New Moon joining with Uranus on Thursday, it’s said we should experience an awakened sense of ourselves. And if that weren’t enough, a reduction in the Earth’s magnetic field makes it easier to release old patterns and awaken new ones — clearly this is the day to think about your higher purpose, and the year to become our own heroes and explorers!
Here are 5 easy ways to celebrate, renew and cleanse for spring:
1) Simply set an intention for change. You can plant a seed to symbolize new beginnings and your new intentions, and pull a weed to symbolize the end of winter and end to any behaviors or relationships you want to put behind you. (This only takes a few minutes, and the power of intention is huge!)
2) Join a celebration – there are many spiritual celebrations of all denominations happening today and over the next week. And if you’re not near one, consider joining in for Saul David Raye & guest astrologer Divine Harmony’s Soul Family TeleSatsangh tonight.
3) Start a cleanse. Especially if you’ve never tried one, this is the perfect time to make it a first (and a habit!) There are many great cleanses out there, including multiple recipes on the web that you can make at home, but we love iZo Cleanze because it’s delivered to our doorstep and makes us feel like a superhero. http://www.izocleanze.com/index.php
4) Renew your Chakras – cleanse your energy with a Chakra massage or yoga class. Focus on your new intentions (deep inhales) while exhaling old thought patterns.
5) Spring-cleaning. Cleaning your space = cleaning your energy. Clearing your clutter = clearing your mind. The ritual of spring cleaning removes any negative energy accumulated over the winter months and prepares the home for the positive growing energy of spring and summer. Burn some sage at the end of your cleaning session, or, for an extra boost, try Aunt Vi’s White Aura Spray for purifying and cleansing our space. It contains Juniper oil, a folk remedy to dispel and purify negative spirits, and it’s infused with Clear Quartz and Diamond essences and also has the antibacterial and refreshing oils of Tea tree and Peppermint. mmmm!
6) Bonus tip! If you are near L.A., intuitive healer and Massage Therapist to the stars, Bea Holst, http://www.beaholst.com/ is offering a spring package for Cleansing, Rejuvenation and Glow - A personalized energy balancing massage and cleanse. Bea is one of our favorite practitioners and we’re booking now…here’s the offer: http://glad.is/practitioner/bea-holst/