Sage smudging is the an ancient cleansing ritual used by Native American and Shamanic cultures to remove negative energy from a space. Whether you’re moving and want to release the stress, and signal a new beginning, or if you feel that your current home has stagnant energy that needs to be cleared, this is a simple ceremony of gratitude for your shelter.
1. Buy a sage smudge stick from a natural foods store, or make one yourself from dried sage. It can be mixed with sandalwood or lavender to increase the fragrance, but you should burn the entire bundle in one ceremony.
2. Open all doors and windows.
3. Light the smudge stick, and when the flame catches, blow it out and allow the embers to start to smoke like incense. Carry it over a large shell (traditional) or bowl to catch any ashes.
4. Before you start, set an intention for your home overall, and then for each room. Say a prayer of cleansing like; “I cleanse this home of any impurities, negativity, or energy that does not serve or support our family. I am grateful for the shelter our roof provides, and for the love these walls hold.”
5. Engage the Four Directions – East, North, West and South, turn up to God and the Universe and ask for wisdom and strength, and look down and feel your feet connect to Mother Earth and give thanks for love and peace.
6. Walk around the house, waving the sage stick so its smoke drifts into corners, along walls, around windows, and along ceiling lines. As you do, imagine the smoke absorbing negativity, problems from those who were in the space before you, toxicity, and anything else you want to go away. See the smoke dissipating and floating out the windows, and imagine that bad energy flowing out of your space, making room for positive, fresh energy. Pause in the kitchen and express gratitude for the meals you prepare there. In the bathroom, for the fresh abundant water you have been blessed with.
7. After you’ve blessed every room, give yourself a sage cleanse by cupping your hands over the smoke and wave it around your face and body as you would in a water shower. Visualize any residual negativity sailing out of your body, out of your home, and into oblivion.
8. Take a moment to feel the energy of the house now. It should feel very light, spacious, and clear.
9. Walk out a door, close it, and smudge around the door and door frame. Leave the bundle (safely) outside to burn itself out, and then bury it in your back yard.
10. Don’t let these detailed instructions complicate your ceremony. As with any spiritual practice, do what feels right for you. Setting an intention and saying prayer is all that’s truly important.
Sage is a wonderful gift from Mother Earth with many healing properties, and this ceremony gives us the opportunity to say that we are grateful for our home. In fact, it’s wonderful to do a purification ritual for your home regularly. Negative energies have a habit of collecting in our living spaces, and this affects our lives, holding ceremony to release the energy that does not serve you will help you to notice a difference in the ‘lightness’ of your home, and the smoothness of your life as well.
You can buy a kit here: http://www.etsy.com/listing/77225548/sage-smudging-kit-cleansing-consecrating
Do you have any tips for smudging that we have missed? Let us know below!