When we think of ourselves, we normally identify with the fabricated version of ourselves known as the ego. By design, this mask totally conceals our true, Higher Self. Although we may get caught up in the dramas of self-centered existence and even totally identify with them, we eventually come to a place on our spiritual journey where we are motivated to recognize and communicate with our Higher Self.
The Higher Self is that part of you that connects you directly to your spiritual realms. It is eternal, infinitely wise and transcends your everyday consciousness. It is in touch with the Divine because it is part of it. Attaining knowledge of the Higher Self, and its depths of inner wisdom, is the ultimate goal of our Spiritual quest.
Here are 5 ways to access your Higher Self:
1. Tap into your sense of choice. Some people are better “visionaries” and can close our eyes and envision our Higher Self standing before us. Others are better “listeners” and can hear their Higher Selves as if they were on the other end of the phone. Feel which sense resonates with you and explore the details. Imagine where you are meeting them; a garden, the shoreline, a bench or a beautiful room. Did they bring anything with them? Do any of their words bring forth certain feelings or connections?
2. Silence your ego. As stated above, the ego is who we primarily identify with. You will most likely feel like you are playing a bit of pretend when you venture into the exercise above. The way you can tell when you’re speaking with your Higher Self instead of your ego is by the answers your Higher Self gives you. When the answers to the questions you’re asking start to sound wiser or more knowledgeable than you usually do, you’re probably talking to your Higher Self. This can take time and practice. Make regular time for silence. Just sit quietly with no expectations. Do nothing. This may feel very uncomfortable and strange in the beginning. Persist. Give time and space for the inner voice to make itself heard. Following your breath is an excellent silent discipline, as is focusing your eyes/attention on one spot, like a candle flame.
3. Journal your dreams and epiphanies. After centering each night, ask your higher self to appear and have a conversation. Keep a journal by your bed so you can record what details surface once you awake. Record feelings, emotional reactions or intuitive moments during your day.
4. Keep an open mind. Allow your mind to be at ease to embrace whatever images you receive. It may not always be something pleasant, but it is always something we need to receive. Remember everything is always in place for our highest good. Our Higher Self is an excellent facilitator if we choose to acknowledge their messages.
5. Believe. BELIEVE that you have a Higher Self to establish communication with! Then expect this communication will improve as you focus diligently on inner growth. Without these two essential prerequisites, it is hard to achieve anything at all in life, especially on a spiritual level.
Remember, you may have spent the majority of your life out of touch with Source. Therefore, it takes time to learn how to re- establish contact. Anything worth doing takes time and practice. Be vigilant and practice these steps every day and you will receive the answers you need. Remember, your Higher Self WANTS to be in contact. So, be in touch. Seek out resources and teachers that expand your understanding of soul consciousness. We have valuable suggestions here in our Directory.
If you enjoyed this article, you will also like: “What Your Intuition Wants to Tell You“.